Its summertime and the livin' is easy--especially with this Peaches & Cream home-made ice-cream. Order up your organic Colorado peaches, gather the other 5 ingredients and get ready to enjoy. We loved this recipe because it keeps the flavors of the peaches front and center.
- 6 ripe organic Colorado peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1-2 caps of vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks slightly fork whisked (optional)
Wash peaches thoroughly and peel peaches over a large bowl to catch the juice. Halve and pit them and chop roughly. Place in the bowl and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of sugar, the salt and lemon juice and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- If you have a blender, take the peach peels and blend until smooth. This is a break from tradition but peach peels have lots of the nutrition so we hate to omit these! Add to peach mixture.
- While peaches macerate, put cream and remaining sugar in saucepan with vanilla. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently to keep from scorching, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool. If you would like a more custard style ice cream, you will need to bring cream up to just before a boil and then slowly add egg yolks in a steady stream stirring mixture constantly until smooth and then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour cream over peaches and mix thoroughly. Taste to see if it needs more sugar. (This will depend on the peaches.) Refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour the mixture into an ice-cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions until set but not quite hard. (If serving immediately, freeze harder.) Scoop and serve!